Most veterinary practices are tight-knit teams, with each member an essential piece of the puzzle. Our support team members are as crucial as our veterinarians in ensuring your beloved companion receives top-notch care, so this month, we are shining the spotlight on one of our client care specialists, Sheila Evans.
What is a client care specialist?
Veterinary client care specialists go by many names—customer service representatives, receptionists, front desk specialists, and more. Here at The Pet Resort at Stone Ridge, our client care specialists are the rockstars of the reception area, and the first smiling face you see when you walk in our doors. The tasks our client care specialists perform include:
- Triaging patients over the phone — If your pet is sick or injured, our client care specialists are so experienced in veterinary matters that they can determine whether it’s an emergency, if the situation can wait a day or two, or if your pet can be monitored at home, unless their condition changes.
- Handling invoice questions — As in human hospitals, the doctors do not handle invoices or payments. Our client care specialists are the most familiar with the costs of services and products, and can explain each item on your invoice, along with our payment options.
- Screening and scheduling appointments — Our client care specialists, after determining whether your pet needs immediate care, or can wait a little, will find an appointment time that fits your schedule.
- Assist with pet supply purchases — No matter what your four-legged pal needs, our client care specialists can advise and assist you with your purchase. They know all there is to know about parasite prevention products, prescription diets, the best shampoos for your pet’s skin, and much more.
- Retrieve prescriptions — Our client care specialists act as the liaison between our veterinarians and veterinary technicians to fill prescriptions, and then give our clients instructions on administering the medication. They also will let you know if your pet will need blood work, or an exam, prior to their next refill.
- Update and file patient charts — Medical records are exceedingly important in veterinary medicine, and our client care specialists are often the ones who import all our patient records into our software program. They decipher our veterinarians’ scribbles, scan in other hospitals’ records, and ensure all the necessary info is recorded.
- Provide excellent customer service — Our client care specialists care for our clients like family, in our hospital, or by phone or email, and ensure that every clients’ questions are answered, and their needs met.
As you can see, our hospital would not run nearly as efficiently without our client care specialists.
Meet client care specialist Sheila
Sheila Evans is a superstar client care specialist that shares her time with Stone Ridge Veterinary Medical Center and The Pet Resort at Stone Ridge, and is one of the first friendly faces you see when you walk through our doors. We are delighted that she is part of our family, and want you to get to know her a little better.
Question: Where are you from originally?
Answer: I was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but I moved to Bellville, Texas, at age 2. I recently moved to Conroe to be with my mom.
Q: How and when did you decide that you wanted to work in veterinary medicine?
A: I knew I wanted to work with animals since I was 12 years old. My sister, Carrie, who has been a veterinary technician for more than 15 years, has been a huge inspiration.
Q: How did you land at Stone Ridge?
A: Although I was a preschool teacher for 19 years, animals have always been my passion. I would take in any stray, and often helped local rescue groups care for homeless pets. When I saw an available position at Stone Ridge, I jumped at the chance to work in the veterinary field.
Q: What’s your favorite part about working in the veterinary field?
A: Nothing beats all the wet noses and puppy breath.
Q: Tell me about your pets.
A: I have a 7-year-old Yorkie named Charlie, who is the love of my life. I also have two 8-year-old cats—Sylvester and Simba—whom I bottle fed from when they were 2 days old.
Q: Tell me about your human family members.
A: My sisters and brothers live in Oklahoma, Dallas, Houston, and Bellville—I’m the only sibling who lives in Conroe.
Q: What’s your favorite food?
A: Chinese food is the best!
Q: Favorite hobby?
A: Collecting wine corks, and painting projects
Q: Mountains or ocean?
Q: Spa weekend or camping weekend?
A: “Glamping” weekend
Q: Tell me a few things are on your bucket list, or something you’d like to accomplish in the next five years.
A: Buy a house on the lake, sky dive, and visit a faraway place.
Q: Any unexpected talents?
A: I can say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious backwards, and I can walk on my toes.
Now that you know Sheila better, the next time you stop in at The Pet Resort at Stone Ridge, ask for her—you’ll feel like you’re talking to a friend.